At Nova Primary Academy, our aim is that children gain a firm understanding of what music is, through listening, singing, playing, evaluating, analysing, and composing across a wide variety of historical periods, styles, traditions, and musical genres.
Across all year groups the children learn how to explore, perform and create music through singing and using instruments. We encourage children to participate in a variety of musical experiences through which we aim to build up their confidence. Throughout the children’s school career, they are exposed to progressively more technical vocabulary and skills.
We are committed to ensuring that children understand the value of music in the wider community, and are able to use their musical skills, knowledge, and experiences to involve themselves musically in a variety of different contexts.
Music is a unique and expressive way of communicating that can inspire and motivate children. It is a means of personal expression and can play an important part in personal development in children. Through music we can express, represent and communicate our ideas and perceptions.
To develop children’s learning to become the best musician that they can be, we aim to ensure the following:
· Broaden children’s musical awareness and foster an appreciation of music from different times and cultures.
· Ensuring progression of musical skills involved in performing, composing, listening and appraising.
· To encourage children to express themselves through music and develop self-esteem through musical achievement.
· Involve every pupil in music making and enable them to realise their individual creative potential.
· A desire to challenge themselves by undertaking the study of new and familiar instruments.
· Encourage children to leave school with a love of music and happy memories of their musical experience that they will want to continue to develop and enjoy.